Sunday, August 25, 2013

JCPenny...prepare to be amazed! Along with Macys, and Martha Stewart


Okay, so this is a little unusual for me to post on something that is actualy new and not second hand or vintage but I was amazed when I visited JCPenny! I have been following there down fall from a stock point of view and been trying to visit a store for a while to check out there new look and see if there is hope for a come back. I was at Macy's just before so that was my point of reference, indulging my love of Martha Stewart product there! I was actually at Macys visiting the new Ralph Lauren mens store, making sure all the product I work on was looking good. It did, go check it out, its actually amazing. Macy's now looks like Selfridges!
Anyway back to JCP. So I walk in (herald square, its hell so go early or go late, its like a less glamorous Tokyo) and the first thing I see is a stationary store that I haven't seen since London, Ordning and Reda.  Lovely stationary if not a little on the expensive side but, still I was amazed that it was there, in JCP no less.  Ill wait for a sale :-)  

.....so then I see this, clean space, wide isles, no hideous pattern.  All good signs.  Also love how they simply and thriftily removed the ceiling tiles and blacked out the workings up top in the ceiling.  Apparently this is the first department to be rolled out following ousted CEO Ron Johnson formerly of apple. You can see the influences all around in the store design......


....then i see what is there version of all clad on the shelves.  The shelves themselves are simple and one would almost say modern (i know its just a shelf but).  The pans look great,  and if I was looking to buy new ones I would have.  Subtly logoed and very sturdy looking, heavy weight and professional.  And the price was amazing AND it was another 40 off AND if your obsessive like I am you can find another 10-20% off on line if you google for JCP discount codes!  Im almost talking myself into buying these pans ( I already bought mine on ebay, they may or may not give you lead poising, but they look great)......





....next I was tricked into thinkig there was a live cooking show and I was going to be able to eat something, but it is what looks to be a live demo area.  Again totally open, and easy to shop.  BUT there was all this Martha "pantry" product.  Coarse salt, peppercorns, baking mixes.  GGGRRREEEAAAATTTT! Thrifty me didnt need it right now but it is sitting in my online basket as I type (however later i went back and got it).  I do hope they succeed in selling this stuff, im dying to know how its all doing as I would love to be able to count on this place for these things.....






jcp.com

....its all laid out by "themed" areas. Dine, sleep, entertain etc etc.  I totally get it.  Then I saw this.  WHITE CHINA!!!! Lost it. CAKE STANDS (you would think I bake, I don't or haven't in the last 8 years, there's no room in manhattan).  Anyway I bought stuff I didn't need.  This is always my litmus test. So simple and great and the prices, cheaper than Target.  I immediately went home and got more of the stuff on line.  This is all the JCP everyday stuff and its kinda perfect.  Scroll down and you will see a really great jug, yes I know I have a tiny studio apartment and I already own 4 white jugs but one day I will do this.  In my mind its good planning to buy little bits all along the way so by the time you can afford a kitchen with a big shelf you can already fill it (it's the story I tell myself so go with it, or simply I'm a hoarder, what do you think ?).


....this is where it lost me a little bit.  Michael Graves the architect was commissioned to do a whole line.  I think they call it giftables but its high design.  Im not sure if its a little too much to soon for the JCP customer but I could wax lyrical about this all day. Love a good conversation about retail environments and merchandising (yes email me now with dinner party invites, I'm so riveting).  I will leave it at that, it looks a lot like alessi which is great, and he jumped over from Target ...

*update* just read this over a the New Yorker BY    
"Meanwhile, the serving bowls and muffin pans, though designed by M.S.L.O., are being sold under the generic-sounding brand name JCP Everyday"
so this is most likely all Martha Designed Product!!



....oh here is "happy chic" by Jonathan Adler.  Again not really my thing but an impressive presentation and a wide assortment of product.  Again I find that it is a very specific customer and if you look at Target they do one designer at a time, again maybe too much too soon but its easy to be a critic.  Trust me I work in design I'm surrounded by critics...





......ahh cheap all clad looking pans, more my speed.....



..."sleep" area.  Sadly the whole dept of home was really quiet which I loved, it was a amazing to shop but I'm not sure it bodes well long term, hence the 40% off....and when I revisited on Saturday it was still quiet ....


....okay back to white china....




...and this, i love butter ......

I want it

....ahhh the jug i was talking about......

LOVELY
... this is what i bought, a tiny jug and some small bowls, for salt and pepper and what not, you know essentials....



In my basket on line:
large platter
small platter
egg cups
ramekins
large jug
(its free shipping if you spend 75 so i had too)
now I'm just waiting to see if they get any cheaper....thrifty Jordan....

.....oh and the have Jasper Conran. If you love a hit of modern well designed furniture get on it.  And its super super reduced. And you can't get him anywhere else the USA, even abc stopped carrying it.  Guess what I got at that closing down sale? White china!  Well thats enough, just go to JCP.com and check it out, search by designer is the best way to see there selection without wading though a bunch of  other stuff....

OBSESSED .........

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing all of this! I really hope that JCP is able to keep its head above water. They were on the news in the last week as one of their MAJOR investors was looking to sell his stock. It would be heartbreaking if they went under given all of the promise you've shared on your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...